Thursday, October 23, 2008

Good lord, I'd have run for Vice-President myself if I'd known I'd get $150 thousand dollars worth of new clothes. Wow. I mean, I spend more on clothes than the average woman, and I am also fortunate enough to have people who are very, very generous to me in that way. I get clothes from Saks and Neiman Marcus, I know how much designer stuff costs, and still, that's a lot of money.

Especially right now. I myself have an unusual opportunity today: I've got a couple of hours to kill in Atlanta, where there is - drumroll, please - a Neiman Marcus store. I like NM, and we don't have one in Seattle, you see. So when I first booked this trip, I had thought I'd take the opportunity to do a little post-parental retail therapy. I was quite looking forward to it.

But you know, I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to bring myself to spend any money. I'm just that uneasy. It's disappointing, but I just don't think I can justify it to myself. I do feel that in the long term, the economy will recover itself, and my personal financial life will be okay. But today, even though I am not experiencing any let-up whatsoever in my business, I don't think I'm going to be comfortable buying any expensive clothes.

Which is a shame, because I would like to. Is it too late to declare myself a candidate for VP?

No comments: